Lebanese Shish Barak is the little dumplings and usually preferred as a snack or during lunchtime. It is the meal having stuffing of seasoned lamb meat, onion, and pine nuts. You can cook it in various ways. You can bake, boil or fry according to your taste.
It is served with mint yogurt sauce to add a delicious flavor to it. This is the hit favorite dish in central Asia and the middle east. Countries where it is popular and available in restaurants also include Jordan, Palestine Iraq, and Lebanon.
Shish Barak Dough Ingredients
- Multi-purpose flour or white flour five cups
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- To form paste water according to the requirement
- Yeast 1 teaspoon
- Sugar 2 teaspoon.
- Ground beef or lamb meat 1 pound
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper half teaspoon or to taste
- Pinch of cinnamon powder
- Finely chopped 1 large onion
- Pine nuts 1 cup
- Olive oil
- Half cup of chopped parsley.
Shish Barak Stew
- 1 kg of yogurt
- Starch 1 teaspoon
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- ½ cup rice
- Dried or fresh mint what you get easily
- Salt to taste.
Method of Preparation
- Mix all dough ingredients and knead it properly. Let it sit for two hours.
- Now sauté the onions in the pan with olive oil and add the ground meat with salt, pepper, and cinnamon until meat change the color
- Add parsley and pine nuts. Keep on stirring to prevent burning. The filling is ready. Keep aside and let it cool.
- Now knead the dough again and flatten it. Cut it small disks with a knife or if you have a cutter use it to make a fine cut.
- Place the meat filling in each cut and give a shape of dumpling, fold the edges. You can use egg wash to pack them securely.
- Now bake in the oven at 400 F for 10 minutes, moreover, you can boil it by covering each dough in the aluminum foil or you can shallow fry till golden brown. There is another option you can use air fryer also to have a healthy experience. Keep it for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Now cook the rice and combine it with all ingredients of the stew. Add dumpling on the stew before serving and garnish with parsley.
Average Cost Per Serving
You can make 2 dozen dumplings for about $10 to $12. The cost may vary if you use beef instead of mutton or minced chicken.
Shish Barak needs certain steps to complete. To prepare the right dough you need two hours. Furthermore, to cook mutton or beef you need one hour. Moreover, for making dumplings you require some additional time. Collectively it takes 3 to 4 hours to make a complete Shish Barak.
To manage your time make a dough and let it sit for two hours. Meanwhile, make filling for the shish Barak and then prepare the stew. In this way, you can save time and prepare a complete dish in 3 hours.
Shish Barak is a middle eastern and central Asian dish. The dish has various name variations line in Saudi Arabia it is known as Joshpara, chuch para, Kazakh, and Tajik are few other names of this recipe.
The first time the recipe was seen from the book name Kitab al-tibakha that was written somewhere in the 15th century.